You probably don’t have a garage door company on speed dial, so if you find yourself needing garage door repairs or replacement, you may feel a little bit lost as you search for a reputable and reliable repairman. The good news is that there are several things you can do to find a garage door company you can trust and rely on.
Here are some helpful hints for your next search for a garage door company:
- Don’t be afraid to ask. Consult your friends, family members and neighbours, especially if you are new to an area. Coworkers may be another source of good, local information.
- Take your time choosing. Once you have suggestions, call two or three of the companies and ask for estimates. Make sure you know the details of each and any associated warranties offered.
- Check references. Ask for the contact information of some previous customers and check to make sure they were satisfied with the services provided.
- Find out about any minimum service charge totals.
- Don’t approve any work until you are satisfied with the explanation and the cost has been given to you.
- If possible, be home or onsite when the repair occurs.
While you may not be able to always go through all these steps, especially if you have an emergency requiring a garage door company right away, do what you can. If you ever feel uncomfortable or unsure, find someone else. Red flags include request for prepayment in full, a phone ID that shows “unknown,” pressure tactics, and unknown addresses.